Askainen enjoys its worthy history. The Louhisaari Manor – the birthplace of Marshal Mannerheim – and the magnificent old manor houses tell about the life in the old days. The beautiful forests, the flower meadows in the summer or the magnificent landscapes along the ski tracks in the winter in Askainen are outdoor life as its best, not to mention boating and fishing.
More information on guided tours to The Knights’ Park, the Noblemen’s Church and the Louhisaari Manor at Visit Naantali,
The park is founded in honour of the Knights of the Mannerheim Cross and all the Finnish veterans. It is a unique distinction to the Knights and the whole generation of war veterans. The park was solemnly inaugurated for the 140th anniversary of Marshal C.G. E. Mannerheim in 2007.
Askaistentie 35, 21240 Askainen, Masku
This neoclassical church was built by the owner of Louhisaari Manor, Governor-general Herman Claes’son Fleming in 1653 as the chapel church of Louhisaari Manor. Later on, Louhisaari was long owned by the Mannerheim family, and Marshal Carl Gustav Mannerheim was born there. There is a funeral chapel of the Mannerheim family in the cemetery.
The Askainen noblemen’s church is part of the oldest tourist route in Finland, the Seven Churches Tour, together with Raisio, Masku, Nousiainen, Lemu, Merimasku and Naantali.
Askaistentie 788, 21240 Askainen, Masku
Louhisaari belonged to the Fleming family for over 300 years and to the Mannerheim family for over one hundred years. The Marshal of Finland, C.G.E. Mannerheim, was born at Louhisaari in 1867.
The main building of Louhisaari dates from 1655 and is one of the rare examples of palatial architecture in Finland. The festive and the service floors were restored to their 17th century form. The middle floor, where the actual living quarters were, was modernised during the 18th and 19th centuries, and the rooms in this part of the castle reflect the interior decoration styles of that time. The castle is surrounded by an English landscape park.
The drive from Naantali to Louhisaari takes about 25 min.
Louhisaarentie 24421240 Askainen, Maskutel. +358 (0)295 33 6971
Open during summer season.
Learn more about other Masku sights